Come and see the fantastic exhibition African Headwear: Beyond Fashion on view through January 1st, 2012! When you get home, make some headwear of your own inspired by your visit.
- Thick poster board (I use colored 6-ply railroad board)
- Collage materials (yarn, decorative paper, colored tape, beads, etc.)
- Cut your poster board into long strips (2″ wide works well).
- Make a headband to use as the base of your hat (make sure the teeth of the staples are facing out).
- Add more strips to create the body of your hat.
- Decorate your hat with markers, collage materials, etc.
- Once you have the basic idea down, create your own design and experiment with the strips to create new shapes like twists, swirls, and loops!
Posted by: JC